Sunday, June 17, 2012

Less / least


Note that when we are making the not-so-much comparison, less and least are the only options open to us, unless we use the construction not asas:
  • I'm not as hungry today as I was yesterday.
  • I am less hungry today than I was yesterday.
  • I was angriest with John about the spoilt weekend. I'm less angry with you. But I'm still angry, nevertheless.
  • Why don't you sit here? This is the least uncomfortable of our chairs.
    Note that we tend not to use less and least to form comparatives / superlatives with one syllable adjectives, as short adjectives often have other words as their opposites. Compare the following:
  • Your cooking is less bland than Mary's. - Your cooking is spicier than Mary's.
  • It's less warm today, don't you think? - It's cooler today, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment