Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lie vs. Lay: Grammar Guide

When do you use "lie" and when do you use "lay"?

Lie and lay are commonly misused. My father-in-law, a high school English teacher, finally taught me the correct usage, and I think I have finally got it.
Lie is to recline. Lay is to put or place, and the verb is always followed by an object. One easy way to remember is, you lie in the sun and a chicken lays an egg. Where it gets tricky is in the past and past participle (the form of have) tenses.

Lie-to recline

  • The present tense of lie (to recline) is lie or lying. I am lyingon the bed. I lie on the bed.
  • The past tense of lie (to recline) is lay. Yesterday, I lay on the bed.
  • The past participle tense (have, has, had) of lie (to recline) is lain. I have lain on the bed for many hours. She has lain on the bed for many hours. Shehad lain on the bed for many hours.
lie, lay, lain


Lay-to put or place

  • The present tense of lay (to put or place) is lay or laying. I am layingthe book on the table. I lay the book on the table.
  • The past tense of lay (to put or place) is laid. Yesterday, I laid the book on the table.
  • The past participle tense (have, has, had) of lay (to put or place) is also laid. I have laid the book on the table. She has laid the book on the table. She had laid the book on the table.
lay, laid, laid

No comments:

Post a Comment