Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Using Since and For


Use since + (a specific time) like March 31, or 9:19 a.m., or Tuesday.Examples:

I have been studying English since 1993.
John has helped me since 10:00 this morning.
Those people have been in Europe since August.


Note: Because we are talking about a time in the past until now, we have to use have/has + past participle when we use since.


Use for + (a length of time) like 1 day, or 3 hours, or 5 years.
Examples:

I have been studying English for 4 years.
John has helped me for 8 hours.
Those people went to Europe for 2 months.



Note: It is possible to use the past tense when you use for if the action is finished.


Check Your UnderstandingChoose the correct answer. Check your answers below.

1. Leslie has lived here  ten years.

2. I haven't seen you  last March.
3. We sat and talked  30 minutes.
4. Young-eun studied French  nine years.
5. Caroline has been learning Spanish  March 1999.
6. We haven't had an earthquake  23 years.
7. I haven't heard from you  Saturday.
8. Molly hasn't eaten  7:00 this morning.
9. He played basketball  over 20 years.
10. Andre hasn't seen Becky  yesterday.



No comments:

Post a Comment