Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cloze passages


It had been a tiring journey. I ___1___ the hotel at about ten o'clock that night. There were ___2___ other tourists waiting to check in. I ___3___ the reception desk and asked for my ___4___ number and the key to it. To my despair, I ___5___ that there had been a ___6___ in communication and my reservation for a room had not been received. The ___7___ was very polite and helpful. She told me that the hotel was ___8___ booked for the night and suggested that I put up at a motel which is further down the hill. Faced with hardly any choice, I took up her ___9___.The ___10___ was rather quaint and warm. The owner was Percy Williams who doubled up as a receptionist and a porter. He ___11___ me warmly and showed me my room. By then I was very ___12___ I jumped into bed and fell into a deep ___13___.
The next morning, I woke up feeling very much refreshed. I realized that I was ___14___ with a blanket and my ___15___ were neatly arranged in the closet. "Mr Williams is indeed a nice man," I thought to ___16___. I decided that I would stay on in the motel for the ___17___ of my holidays.
I met Mr Williams on my way out and ___18___ him for his service. Mr Williams was surprised. "I didn't do anything except to show you to your room last night, Miss. It must be my ___19___ who did that."
" Please convey my thanks to your wife then," I said as I moved to leave. Mr Williams' next few words ___20___ me freeze.
I'm afraid I can't, Miss. You see, my wife died a few years ago."
 
Answers
 
1. reached   2. many   3. approached   4. room   5. found   6. mistake/breakdown   7. receptionist   8. fully   9. suggestion   10. motel   11. greeted   12. tired   13. sleep   14. covered   15. clothes   16. myself   17. rest   18. thanked   19. wife   20. made
 
It had been a tiring journey. I reached the hotel at about ten o'clock that night. There were many other tourists waiting to check in. I approached the reception desk and asked for my room number and the key to it. To my despair, I found that there had been a mistake/breakdown in communication and my reservation for a room had not been received. The receptionist was very polite and helpful. She told me that the hotel was fully booked for the night and suggested that I put up at a motel which is further down the hill. Faced with hardly any choice, I took up her suggestion.The motel was rather quaint and warm. The owner was Percy Williams who doubled up as a receptionist and a porter. He greeted me warmly and showed me my room. By then I was very tired I jumped into bed and fell into a deep sleep.
The next morning, I woke up feeling very much refreshed. I realized that I wascovered with a blanket and my clothes were neatly arranged in the closet. "Mr Williams is indeed a nice man," I thought to myself. I decided that I would stay on in the motel for the rest of my holidays.
I met Mr Williams on my way out and thanked him for his service. Mr Williams was surprised. "I didn't do anything except to show you to your room last night, Miss. It must be my wife who did that."
" Please convey my thanks to your wife then," I said as I moved to leave. Mr Williams' next few words made me freeze.
I'm afraid I can't, Miss. You see, my wife died a few years ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment