Sunday, June 10, 2012

F

Phrasal Verb Definition Example
face up to + acknowledge something difficult or embarrassing I'll never be able to face up to my colleagues after getting so drunk last night at the work party.
fall back on + be able to use in case of emergency Yuki can fall back on her degree in biology if she doesn't succeed in her acting career.
fall behind go slower than scheduled, lag Hurry up or you will fall behind!
fall behind in + go slower than scheduled, lag Cheryl has missed several days of school and now she is falling behind in her homework.
fall off decrease Interest in the project fell off when they realized it wouldn't be profitable.
fall out with + have an argument with I had a falling out with my sister last month and we haven't talked to each other since.
fall through fail to happen Unfortunately, my trip to Indonesia fell through because I couldn't save enough money.
feel * up + grope She sued her boss for sexual harassment after he felt her up.
feel up to + have the energy to do something I don't feel up to going out tonight because I had a long day at work.
figure on + expect Where do you figure on living when you move to the the U.S.A.?
figure * out + solve something, understand I finally figured the joke out. Now I understand why everybody was laughing.
figure * up + calculate I need to figure my expenses up before I give you an estimate.
fill * in + complete  Don't forget to fill in all the blanks on the application.
fill in substitute Who is going to fill in while you're gone?
fill in for + substitute for Miguel filled in for me at the meeting yesterday because I was sick.
fill * out + complete (an application) I filled out an application to rent the apartment last week.
fill out mature, get breasts Now that you're filling out honey, we need to get you a bra.
fill * up + fill to the top Fill the car up with unleaded gas, please.
find out + discover You will never find out all my secrets!
find out discover Vicky's parents are going to be so mad when they find out she got a tattoo.
fix * up + repair, renovate, remodel My neighbors are fixing their house up.

No comments:

Post a Comment