Wednesday, June 13, 2012

For - part 2




We can use for to mean ‘because’. We only use this in very formal English.
  • The divers have to be careful for a sudden change in conditions could be dangerous.
  • Read the instructions carefully for you will only get one chance to enter the information.
We can use for to talk about a purpose or a reason.
  • What did you that for?
  • What is that for?
  • Thank you for your letter.
  • I don’t have enough money for the ticket. 
  • I need treatment for my bad back.
For can mean that you are in favour/favor of something.
  • He is for the idea of cutting taxes.
  • I am for this change in the way we do things.
  • You need to stand up for what is right.
We can use for with expressions of time and distance.
  • I walked for miles.
  • I waited for a long time.
  • We will be away for the next week.
Sometimes we can omit the for completely in these expressions without changing the meaning.
  •  I walked miles.
  • I waited a long time.
With the present perfect, for refers to a length of time. Since refers to the starting point.
  • I have studied English for seven years.
  • I have studied English since I was 12.
Here are some useful expressions using for
  • I enclose a cheque/check for 100 euros
  • What’s another word for stupid?
  • I’ve known him for ages.
  • I am all for making this change.
  • Get ready.  -What for?   -Anne is coming.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment