Sunday, June 10, 2012

Future Real Conditional

FORM

[If / When ... Simple Present ..., ... Simple Future ...]
[... Simple Future ... if / when ... Simple Present ...]
Notice that there is no future in the if- or when-clause.

 

USE

The Future Real Conditional describes what you think you will do in a specific situation in the future. It is different from other Real Conditional forms because, unlike the present or the past, you do not know what will happen in the future. Although this form is called "real", you are usually imagining or guessing about the future. It is called "real" because it is still possible that the action might occur in the future. Carefully study the following examples and compare them to the Future Unreal Conditional examples further down the page.
Examples:
  • If I go to my friend's house for dinner tonight, I will take a bottle of wine or some flowers.
    I am still not sure if I will go to his house or not.
  • When I have a day off from work, I am going to go to the beach.
    I have to wait until I have a day off.
  • If the weather is nice, she is going to walk to work.
    It depends on the weather.
  • Jerry will help me with my homework when he has time.
    I have to wait until he has time.
  • I am going to read if there is nothing on TV.
    It depends on the TV schedule.
  • A: What are you going to do if it rains?
    B: I am going to stay at home.

 

IMPORTANT If / When

Both "if" and "when" are used in the Future Real Conditional, but the use is different from other Real Conditional forms. In the Future Real Conditional, "if" suggests that you do not know if something will happen or not. "When" suggests that something will definitely happen at some point; we are simply waiting for it to occur. Notice also that the Simple Future is not used in if-clauses or when-clauses.
Examples:
  • When you call me, I will give you the address.
    You are going to call me later, and at that time, I will give you the address.
  • If you call me, I will give you the address.
    If you want the address, you can call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment