Sunday, June 10, 2012

Future Unreal Conditional + Continuous

FORM

If-clause: [were + present participle]
Result: [would be + present participle]

 

USE

Future Unreal Conditional + Continuous can be used like the Future Continuous in imaginary situations to emphasize interruptions or parallel actions in the future.
NOTICE The future form looks the same as the present form. The future is indicated with words such as "tomorrow," "next week" or "in a couple of days."
Examples in the if-clause:
  • If I were waiting there next week when he gets off the plane, he would be totally surprised.
    But I will not be waiting there, so he won't be surprised.
  • If he were staying in that hotel next week while the conference is being held, he might be able to meet some of the key speakers and tell them about our new product.
    I don't think he will be able to stay at the hotel, so he won't be able to meet anybody there.
Examples in the result:
  • If I were able to go to the train station tonight to meet Sandra, I would be standing on the platform waiting for her when she arrives.
    I won't be able to go to the train station, so I will not be standing there when she arrives.
  • If you went over to Paul's house after work, he would probably be sitting there at his computer surfing the Internet.
    But you won't go over.

No comments:

Post a Comment