Thursday, June 14, 2012

Modals



 
Complete B's sentences using can / could / might / must / should /would + the verb in brackets. In some sentences you need to usehave : must have ... / should have ... etc. In some sentences you need the negative ( can't/couldn't etc )





1. A : I'm hungry.
B : But you've just had lunch. You ______ hungry already. ( be )
   
2. A : I haven't seen our neighbors for ages.
B : No. They ______ away. ( go )
   
3. A : What's the weather like ? Is it raining ?
B : Not at the moment but it ______ later. ( rain )
   
4. A : Where has Julia gone ?
B : I'm not sure. She ______ to the bank. ( go )
   
5. A : I didn't see you at John's party last week.
B : No, I had to work that evening, so I ______. ( go )
   
6. A : I saw you at John's party last week.
B : No, you didn't. You ______ me. I didn't go to John's party. ( see )
   
7. A : When did you post the letter to Mary ?
B : This morning. So she ______ it tomorrow. ( get )
   
8. A : When was the last time you saw Bill ?
B : Years ago. I ______ him if I saw him now. ( recognize )
   
9. A : Did you hear the explosion ?
B : What explosion ?
A : There was a loud explosion a few minutes ago. You ______ it. ( hear )
   
10. A : We weren't sure which way to go. In the end we turned right.
B : You went the wrong way. You ______ left. ( turn )
   
 
  Answers
   
1. can't be
2. must have gone
3. could rain / might rain
4. might have gone / could have gone
5. couldn't go
6. couldn't have seen / can't have seen
7. should get
8. wouldn't recognize / might not recognize
9. must have heard
10. should have turned
   

No comments:

Post a Comment