Sunday, June 10, 2012

Past Real Conditional

FORM

[If / When ... Simple Past ..., ... Simple Past ...]
[... Simple Past... if / when ... Simple Past ...]

 

USE

The Past Real Conditional describes what you used to do in particular real-life situations. It suggests that your habits have changed and you do not usually do these things today.
Examples:
  • If I went to a friend's house for dinner, I usually took a bottle of wine or some flowers. I don't do that anymore.
  • When I had a day off from work, I often went to the beach. Now, I never get time off.
  • If the weather was nice, she often walked to work. Now, she usually drives.
  • Jerry always helped me with my homework when he had time. But he doesn't do that anymore.
  • A: What did you usually do when it rained?
    B: I usually stayed at home.

 

IMPORTANT Used to

The form "used to" expresses the idea that something was an old habit that stopped in the past. This form is commonly used in Past Real Conditional sentences to emphasize that something was a habit. The examples below have the same meaning as the examples above.
Examples:
  • If I went to a friend's house for dinner, I used to take a bottle of wine or some flowers. I don't do that anymore.
  • When I had a day off from work, I used to go to the beach. Now, I never get time off.
  • If the weather was nice, she used to walk to work. Now, she usually drives.
  • Jerry used to help me with my homework when he had time. But he doesn't do that anymore.
  • A: What did you usually do when it rained?
    B: I used to stay at home.

 

IMPORTANT If / When

Both "if" and "when" are used in the Past Real Conditional. Using "if" suggests that something happened less frequently. Using "when" suggests that something happened regularly.
Examples:
  • When I had a day off from work, I usually went to the beach.
    I regularly had days off from work.
  • If I had a day off from work, I usually went to the beach.
    I rarely had days off from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment