Sunday, June 10, 2012

Simple Present Forms

Most Verbs

Most verbs conjugate like the verb "run" below. Notice how you add an "s" to third-person forms. Third-person negative forms and third-person questions are made using "does."

Positive Negative Question
  • I run.
  • You run.
  • We run.
  • They run.
  • He runs.
  • She runs.
  • It runs.
  • I do not run.
  • You do not run.
  • We do not run.
  • They do not run.
  • He does not run.
  • She does not run.
  • It does not run.
  • Do I run?
  • Do you run?
  • Do we run?
  • Do they run?
  • Does he run?
  • Does she run?
  • Does it run?


Instead of "s," "es" is added to positive, third-person forms of verbs ending with the following sounds: s, z, sh, ch, j or zs (as in Zsa Zsa). These special "es"-forms have been marked below with an asterisk*.

Positive Negative Question
  • I rush.
  • You rush.
  • We rush.
  • They rush.
  • He rushes. *
  • She rushes. *
  • It rushes. *
  • I do not rush.
  • You do not rush.
  • We do not rush.
  • They do not rush.
  • He does not rush.
  • She does not rush.
  • It does not rush.
  • Do I rush?
  • Do you rush?
  • Do we rush?
  • Do they rush?
  • Does he rush?
  • Does she rush?
  • Does it rush?

 

To Have

The verb "have" is irregular in positive, third-person forms. This irregular form has been marked below with an asterisk*.

Positive Negative Question
  • I have.
  • You have.
  • We have.
  • They have.
  • He has. *
  • She has. *
  • It has. *
  • I do not have.
  • You do not have.
  • We do not have.
  • They do not have.
  • He does not have.
  • She does not have.
  • It does not have.
  • Do I have?
  • Do you have?
  • Do we have?
  • Do they have?
  • Does he have?
  • Does she have?
  • Does it have?

 

To Be

The verb "be" is irregular in the Simple Present. It also has different question forms and negative forms.

Positive Negative Question
  • I am.
  • You are.
  • We are.
  • They are.
  • He is.
  • She is.
  • It is.
  • I am not.
  • You are not.
  • We are not.
  • They are not.
  • He is not.
  • She is not.
  • It is not.
  • Am I?
  • Are you?
  • Are we?
  • Are they?
  • Is he?
  • Is she?
  • Is it?

 

Modal Verbs

Modal verbs behave differently from other verbs. Notice that they do not take "s" in the third person - there is no difference between first-person, second-person or third-person forms. Like the verb "be" described above, modal verbs also have different question forms and negative forms in Simple Present.

Positive Negative Question
  • I should go.
  • You should go.
  • We should go.
  • They should go.
  • He should go.
  • She should go.
  • It should go.
  • I should not go.
  • You should not go.
  • We should not go.
  • They should not go.
  • He should not go.
  • She should not go.
  • It should not go.
  • Should I go?
  • Should you go?
  • Should we go?
  • Should they go?
  • Should he go?
  • Should she go?
  • Should it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment