Sunday, June 10, 2012

T

Phrasal Verb Definition Example
take after + resemble a parent or relative I take after my father. Who do you take after?
take * away + remove, seize or capture The soldiers took the captives away.
take * back + retract something you said I demand that you take back what you said.
take * back + return an item to a store The dress my grandmother bought for me didn't fit, so I took it back and exchanged it for a pair of pants.
take * down + write down what is said Would you mind taking down my messages while I am on vacation?
take * down + remove (from a high place) The city government made the shop take down their bright, neon sign.
take * for consider, view as Do you take me for an idiot?
take * in + learning Are you taking in all of these phrasal verbs?
take * in + deceive a person He was taken in by the con artist.
take * in + make smaller when sewing I lost weight, so I need to take some of my skirts to the tailor to have them taken in.
take * off when a plane or rocket leaves the ground My stomach felt funny when the plane took off.
take * off + remove In many cultures, it is appropriate to take off your shoes when entering a house.
take * off + leave work or school for a period of time I was sick last week, so I took a few days off of work.
take off leave We took off after dinner.
take on + accept (responsibilities, work) She has taken on too much responsibility in this project.
take * over + take control of Who is going to take over the family business when Aretha's father dies?
take over take control of If the President is assassinated, the Vice-president will take over.
take * out + accompany a person on a date (for dinner, the movies) I can't meet you tonight because I am taking Fernanda out to dinner.
take * up + begin a new hobby Have you taken up any new hobbies since you moved here?
take * up + discuss (at a later date) We should take this issue up in the meeting tomorrow.
take * up + shorten a garment when sewing This dress is too long, I am going to take it up.
take up + occupy space This couch takes up too much space in the living room.
talk back respond in an impolite way to an adult Don't talk back!
talk back to + respond in an impolite way to an adult Children should not talk back to their parents.
talk * over + discuss I hope my parents talk their relationship problems over before they get divorced.
tear * down + destroy The county decided to tear down the dilapidated school and build a new one.
tear * up + tear or rip into small pieces I always tear up my personal papers before I throw them out.
tell * off + criticize a person severely, reprimand (inf.) Carolina told me off when she found out I was gossiping about her date with Martin.
tell on + report a crime to the police or bad behavior to a parent  Every time I did something wrong when I was a child, my sister would tell on me.
think * over + consider Think over the offer before you sign the contract.
think * through +  consider carefully You need to think this through carefully before you make a decision.
think * up + create or invent a false story I need to think up an excuse for not going to her party.
throw * away + discard Don't throw away those bottles; we can recycle them.
throw * out + discard I asked him not to throw out the Sunday newspaper because I wanted to save an article.
throw * out + remove by force from (a room, school, a house, etc.) Mary threw out her roommate because she stopped paying rent.
throw up vomit If you drink too much alcohol, you might throw up.
tie * up + tie securely When we dock, make sure you tie the boat up.
tire * out cause someone to be very tired Speaking English all day tires me out.
touch on + talk about for a short time The presidential candidates touched on the subject of health care during the debates.
touch * up make the final improvements We didn't paint the whole kitchen, we just touched up the cabinets.
try * on + put on to make sure a piece of clothing fits Try on the pants before you buy them.
try * out test Try out this massage chair - it feels great!
turn * away refuse to deal with or give service They turned us away at the border because we didn't have visas.
turn * around change or reverse direction Turn the car around and go back home.
turn * down + refuse an offer; reject an application She turned down the new job in New York, because she didn't want to move.
turn * down + lower the volume or intensity of a TV, radio, or other machine I'm studying! Please turn down the TV.
turn * in submit You need to turn your essays in next week.
turn in go to bed (inf.) It's getting late. I think it is about time to turn in.
turn into +  become something different, transform When she kissed the frog, it turned into a handsome prince.
turn * off + stop the function of (a stove, a water faucet, a car, etc.) Don't forget to turn off the iron before you leave the house.
turn on + attack unexpectedly The pit bull suddenly turned on the small child.
turn * on cause to be excited sexually  Scientists have discovered that the smell of cinnamon turns many people on.
turn * on + start the function of a TV, a radio, a machine Turn on the TV. The baseball game starts in a few minutes.
turn * out produce  The weavers can turn out two or three rugs a month.
turn * out switch off a light Turn out the light before you go to bed.
turn out audience members to a function Over 100,000 people turned out for the concert.
turn out end up being She turned out to be the murderer after all.
turn * over give to authorities (said of evidence or stolen / lost property) They turned the wallet over to the police.
turn * up + increase the volume or intensity of a TV, radio, or other machine Turn up the TV. I can't hear what they're saying.
turn up find unexpectedly My keys turned up in the bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment