Sunday, June 10, 2012

Verbs Followed by Infinitives


8 = verb followed by an infinitive OR an optional noun + an infinitive
13
= verb followed by a gerund OR an infinitive with a difference in meaning
14
= verb followed by a gerund OR an infinitive with little difference in meaning


agreeTom agreed to help me.
appearHis health appeared to be better.
arrangeNaomi arranged to stay with her cousin in Miami.
ask [8]She asked to leave.
begin [13]He began to talk.
can't bear [14]He can't bear to be alone.
can't stand [14]Nancy can't stand to work the late shift.
careHe doesn't care to participate in the activity.
cease [14]The government ceased to provide free healthcare.
choose [8]I chose to help.
claimShe claimed to be a princess.
continue [14]She continued to talk.
decideWe decided to go to Hawaii.
demandHe demanded to speak to Mr. Harris.
deserveHe deserves to go to jail.
dread [13]I dread to think what might happen.
expect [8]They expect to arrive early.
failHe failed to get enough money to pay for the new project.
forget [13]I forgot to lock the door when I left.
get (be allowed to) Debbie gets to go to the concert next week! Why can't I?
happenShe happened to be at the bank when it was robbed.
hate [14]He hates to clean dishes.
hesitateShe hesitated to tell me the problem.
hope I hope to begin college this year.
intend We intend to visit you next spring.
learnI learned to speak Japanese when I was a kid.
like [14]Samantha likes to read.
love [14] We love to scuba dive.
manageHe managed to open the door without the key.
need [8,13]I need to study.
neglect [14]She neglected to tell me the date of the meeting.
offerFrank offered to drive us to the supermarket.
planWe plan to go to Europe this summer.
prefer [14]He prefers to eat at 7 PM.
prepare [8]They prepared to take the test.
pretendThe child pretended to be a monster.
promise [8] She promised to stop smoking.
propose [14]Drew proposed to pay for the trip.
refuseThe guard refused to let them enter the building.
regret [13]I regret to inform you that your application was rejected.
remember [13]Did you remember to lock the door when you left?
seemNancy seemed to be disappointed.
start [13]Marge started to talk really fast.
swearShe swore to tell the truth.
tendHe tends to be a little shy.
threaten [8]He threatened to leave forever.
try [13]Mary tried to lift the table, but it was too heavy.
vowHe vowed to get revenge.
waitShe waited to buy a movie ticket.
want [8]I want to study Spanish.
wish [8]I wish to stay.
would like [8]
(meaning "wish" or "want")
We would like to start now.
yearnMelanie yearns to travel somewhere exotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment